Mr Unknown is right. I figured this would probably be better for desoldering SMT components. Solder Wick #2 5ft. - Generic - TOL-09327 - SparkFun ... Removing solder with solderwick requires more heat, if one is to be able to heat both the joint and the mass of the solderwick. Aug 12, 2010. Also get some "soder wick" to fix solder bridges between IC leads. You can make functional substitutes for desoldering braid using a small length of stranded copper or aluminum wire or the braided shielding on coaxial cable. Tools & Home Improvement › Welding & Soldering › Soldering & Brazing Equipment . Though it takes a bit of practice, de-soldering wick is considered as the best way to remove unwanted parts on circuit board. Feed GOOD lead-tin solder INTO the hole. A desoldering wick having an inner metal coating such as a 0.1 μm to 12 μm layer of tin or tin-alloy and an outer noble metal coating such as a 0.5 nm to 10 μm layer of gold, silver, platinum, palladium, or rhodium for the removal of lead-free solder; a method of manufacturing the desoldering wick; and methods of using the wick. I ordered this desoldering wick as an alternative to the desoldering pump I was used to using. I have 2 Hakko soldering stations. The 599B is made from coils of brass, which is softer than the tip plating yet harder than the oxidation that forms on the tip. Hence, solder wick is sometimes called desolder braid. Tabiger Desoldering Pump Solder Wick, Solder Remover Tool 3-in-1 Kit Included 1pc Solder Sucker Pump and 2pcs Desoldering Wick Solder Braid Wire (2.5mm Width, 1.5m Length) 4.5 out of 5 stars 247 £8.99 $5.98 #6. If so, all you need is a good soldering iron, good thin solder, solder wick, and decent SMD soldering skills regardless of the board you choose. The 4900 solder wires meets J-STD-004 and exceeds J-STD-006 purity specifications. Because the electropotential between tin and le. Tabiger Solder Wick & De-soldering Pump is our third pickup list with many quality features. Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am. When you resolder, be sure to buy 60/40 tin-lead solder with a resin . What are the different soldering tools and materials? It is commonly used to aid in removing faulty components, to correct solder bridging, or for any other reason that solder needs to be removed. It significantly reduces rework/repair time and minimizes the risk of heat damage to the board. Desoldering wick (also known as solder wick, wick, or desoldering braid) is a common method of removing unwanted solder using flux and braided copper wire. Now carefully position the braid on the soldering joint. Solder suckers, wick, or any other type of de-soldering tools are always worth-while when you are trying to keep from damaging the board ar associated components. Answer (1 of 3): From an electrochemical/corrosion point of view, tin-lead is the VERY BEST alloy to use. This machine continually monitors the wire to prevent voids and ensure This dilutes the lead-free solder, makes the solder wick MUCH more effective. Post subject: Substitute for Solder Wick. After 2-3 rounds of this, you'll have the hole cleaned out and looking like brand new. My goal is to remove the existing momentary 3-way switches (pictured) from one of the daughter boards on the Virpil Control Panel #2 and replace them with latched 3 way switches. When I first purchased my shop air compressor I had what I thought was a great idea. \$\endgroup\$ Then with any remaining solder, use the solder sucker. Hi, my name is Pratyaksh Asarsa and i am a beginner.I bought a new 16x2 lcd display and tried to solder male header pins to the lcd screen but the stuff got messed up.It got worse when i desoldered the pins as the solder pads too get removed from the pcb.Please help me by suggesting the alternative pins of the lcd. Techspray wick has been a mainstay at PCB rework, repair and prototyping stations for over 30-years. De-soldering Wick; It is the perfect alternative to solder sucking pumps. . I keep a tin of paste flux around just for enhancing solder wick. Soder-Wick® Desoldering Braids, ITW Chemtronics®. Now am restoring a number of TEK 2465/7B and 7000 plugins, so easily unsoldering components and ICs without board damage is a must. Soder-Wick® No Clean SD braid is noncorrosive, halide-free, and organic. However, I am struggling to de-solder the . I strip back the plastic sheathing, push the braid togather, slide out the inner plastic and center conductor, then pull the shielding (braided wire) taught. That's what we're going to use. Hot air and infra-red soldering. Solder Wire: Included in the kit is a high quality 50 grams 60-40 (Sn/Pb) Tin - Lead rosin core solder wire alloy with 0.6mm diameter and 1.6% flux content commonly used for wiring appliances, DIY projects, 3D printers and other electronic projects or electrical and electronics soldering and repairs You could insert multiple wires into the terminal and then crimp. The 599B is the ideal alternative to a wet sponge. Desoldering wick (also known as solder wick, wick, or desoldering braid) is a common method of removing unwanted solder using flux and braided copper wire. IMHO, that's the only sane way to DIY solder surface mount. Soder-Wick, the world's leading brand of desoldering braid, is the fastest, cleanest and safest wick in the industry. engineers choice Solder Wire for Engineering Student, . Here the copper wick is placed over the joint and the solder is melted by means of soldering iron. The best alternative to flux when soldering is petroleum jelly which is anti-corrosive and will not damage your material. Delcast Rosin Soldering Flux Paste 50G 4.6 out of 5 stars 1,997. Now between the desired soldered pin and positioned braid to use the soldering iron to heat the component. Dynatron: how to make and use your own solder wick. Replaced the stepper motors. And now you just made a solder wick from a piece of copper wire, you can use it as the usual solder wick. I thought I had some braided solder wick, but I can't find it. For eg.this pin is connected near that resistor or component.I have also tried . AMG workshop:I'm starting a new segment called Tips'n Tricks, i will try to make it monthly.Today's episode is about making desoldering wick or braid, it's j. Location: Wa. Solder Wick is available in the most comprehensive variety of widths, lengths and flux types. This Instructable shows how it can be done. One solution is to place Via Holes in component pads, however, the Solder will Wick/Escape down the hole resulting in an uneven Wetting Process. Alternative Tools for Removing Solder Without a Soldering Iron Fortunately, as indicated in the steps above, you can solder or remove solder without the need for a soldering iron. Solder wick is composed of copper threads braided together. Don't get lead free solder. Removes up to four times more solder than conventional wick, and extracts solder much faster than wicks based on Type-R fluxes. Once the wick turns silver, you cut off the offending bit and throw it away. It is a method of removing unwanted solder using flux and braided copper wire.It is commonly used to aid in removing faulty components, to correct solder bridging, or for any other reason that solder needs to be removed. Wick is used by everyone from massive printed circuit board . it will be far from as effective as the real thing, as there is no flux in the wire, but it could work good enough for this. This wick is 0.055" (size #2) wide . If you've got any around it's used on audio, microphone, satellite and TV aerials. Solder wick comes in different length, widths, and flux types. The solder wick needs to have soldering flux. Features. Buy Chemtronics 1.5m Desoldering Braid, Width 2.5mm 10-5L. Thanks. Wick is used by everyone from massive printed circuit board factories all the way to beginning . If you don't have one on hand, you're not completely doomed as there are plenty of other tools that can be used along with almost any heat source. De-soldering Wick; It is the perfect alternative to solder sucking pumps. Always. The 4900 leaded solders achieve a consistent solder and flux percentage through a state-of-the-art, extrusion, wire-drawing machine. Answer (1 of 3): What will a solder stick to? What can be used instead of solder? Post subject: Substitute for Solder Wick. you will first start off with a short length (less than a foot) of thick, braided copper wire. Solder Wick is available in the most comprehensive variety of widths, lengths and flux types. Meet Bellcore TR-NWT-000078 and IPC SF-818, and ANSI/IPC J STD-004, Type ROL0. Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am. Push the end of the wick into the flux paste with the tip of your soldering iron just long enough to melt a bit, and BAM . Free Next Day Delivery available. Quote or tag if you want me to answer! By using a desoldering braid that is too wide, you can accidentally desolder other components on the circuit board. This solder is a great alternative to leaded solders. For me, the pump is usually more convenient for removing large amounts of solder, or sucking it out of holes, and the wick is better for spot removal and clean up. Overheated Joint In opposition to a cold solder joint that is insufficiently heated solder, an overheated solder is created when temperatures are too high or the solder is overexposed to heat. Use solder paste and toaster oven method. https: . This is because solder used by plumbers for soldering copper pipes is always used along with a healthy amount of flux paste applied separately, so plumbing solder doesn't usually have any flux included in it. Wick, Solder Wick, Desoldering Wick, Solder Braid, Desoldering Braid. You will also need lead free solder masking agent like the one offered by Chemtronics Chemask.The European Union outlawed the use of lead in consumer goods in 2008 making it essential for users to find an alternative when it comes to soldering. Yes, you really can solder anything, and solder wick is a large part of the process. Standard electrode potential (data page) - Wikipedia Pb+2 + 2 electrons: -0.126V Sn+2 + 2 electrons: -0.130 V deltaV = 4 mV! Consider these alternative items. Probably no flux (or dried up flux). Soder-Wick, the world's leading brand of desoldering braid, is the fastest, cleanest and safest wick in the industry. It significantly reduces rework/repair time and minimizes the risk of heat damage to the board. An alternative method is to use solder paste with a hot air gun or an infra-red oven, but temperature control becomes an important factor. You simply start the tool by pressing down the trigger button through a single-hand process. . 2 Jar Solder Flux, Flux for Soldering, Rosin Soldering Flux Paste for Lead-Free Electronics Soldering and Soldering DIY (1.2oz/35g in a Jar) 4.6 out of 5 stars 220. Soder-Wick® Rosin is a Type R flux braid that is fast, safe, noncorrosive, and leaves no ionic contamination. Residue left behind is halide free and non-conductive, so it does not have to be cleaned off the board. Go back to step 1. Though it takes a bit of practice, de-soldering wick is considered as the best way to remove unwanted parts on circuit board. And for the hobbyist the price makes it an affordable alternative to plastic suckers and the desoldering wick. Get zephpaste syringe solder paste with plunger and couple different tips. There is a selection of equipment available to use when soldering to ensure effective and safe operation for the best result. Posted: Mar Thu 03, 2005 11:23 am. The good stuff comes with some flux already, but even the cheap huge braid wick works great with some extra flux. The soldering iron is applied to the wick as it sits on the solder joint, and when both are brought up to the solder's melting point, the flux is activated and . You could also crimp the wires together. Being an excellent conductor of heat, heating copper braid will absorb the excess solder through capillary action. so switching it on only when needed is the best alternative, but it is less convenient. Soldering wick is a coil of copper strands. Good solder wick should always have flux in it. They come in spring loaded (ex. Step 3: Solder Wick. It should soak up the solder fairly quickly. cut off any bullshit on the end of the wire. Posted: Mar Thu 03, 2005 11:23 am. The soldering iron is applied to the wick as it sits on the solder joint, and when both are brought up to the solder's melting point, the flux is activated and, through capillary action from the braided design, solder is drawn up the wick. To make your own solder wick you will just need a piece of stranded copper wire and some flux. That is the trade-off. The solder gradually flows into the wick and hence gets removed. Report as inappropriate . Alternatively and this maybe the better way to attack the problem, remove the DAC IC's, remove the solder paste from the pcb with a soldering iron and solder wick and start over with solder paste applied to the component pads only or depending on your soldering technique you could just remove the ic's clean the board and handsolder the ic's . That's why it's best to have both. Step 1: The Making. PM me if you are in a real hurry! If you plan on doing very much soldering now is a good time to add tools to your arsenal for future issues. It is a 25 watt, 120 V iron with a rounded co-molded soft grip handle which is designed for . Solder wick can't be re-used to my knowledge. As the heat flow through the braid, the component will melt. By using a desoldering braid that is too wide, you can accidentally desolder other components on the circuit board. Solder wick that is too thin does not remove enough solder. My first I bought 25 years ago and it's still going . Chevy Silverado dash cluster stopped working. pull the copper out the side of the slit, and cut off the excess insulation. Solder wick alterative. $5.95 #7. Lead free alternatives are far more available than ever before as more and more people are switching . TOWOT Solder Wick, Desoldering Wick Used to Remove the Solder and Disassemble Electrical Components, No-Clean Solder Wick Braid(W 0.08'' L 9.8') 39. However, another alternative is to use hot-air guns which have both blowing and sucking features. Both the barrel and the lead must reach soldering temperature throughout the PWB thickness, or solder flow up the barrel will be halted. 4/9/2009. #3. make a slit, starting 2 inches from the end of the wire, all the way to the end. The only thing I have to add is that desoldering irons are great - but expensive. In other words, the copper braids heat up and help the solder to get or to "wick . The kit also includes an iron stand, soldering aid tool, lead-free solder, and spare MT2 and MT3 tips. Tabiger Solder Desoldering Pump featured with durable ABS body ensure to do any job damage free. bridging) to be removed. Teensy alternative Theme . Anyone know a good substitution for the copper wick that might work? Browse our latest Solder Wicks offers. Consider these alternative items. Factories all the way to DIY solder surface mount soldering - Restarters <. Simple operation through a single-hand process it easy to clean the excess solder excellent conductor of heat damage to board! Up solder when you resolder, be sure to buy 60/40 tin-lead solder with a short length ( than... Share=1 '' > Ruining of 16x2 lcd pins while soldering wick I sometimes I use RF cable any... Iron with a solder wick helps to transfer the heat flow through the copper braids heat up help. Or solder flow up the barrel and the solder sucker supposed to be ( the )... There is a mixture of powdered solder and flux and typically comes in different length, widths, and. Considered as the best alternative, but latched instead of solder can you solder flux! Wick # 2 ) wide s why it & # x27 ; s the only sane way to.! Fix solder bridges between IC leads might work > help de-soldering virpil control panel # 2 ) wide eg.this. You cut off the board variety of widths, and extracts solder much faster than wicks based on fluxes! Pins while soldering both the barrel and the lead must reach soldering temperature throughout the PWB thickness, solder! Foot ) of thick, braided copper wire and some flux of solder ; s What &! 2465/7B and 7000 plugins, so easily unsoldering components and ICs without board is! Tin of paste flux around just for enhancing solder wick from a piece of copper strands jelly which designed! Get or to & quot ; wick the desired soldered pin and braid... Flux percentage through a single-hand process 11:23 am bullshit on the circuit.. Probably be better for desoldering SMT components use hot-air guns, there will also be special tips provided that.. Flux percentage through a state-of-the-art, extrusion, wire-drawing machine & # x27 ; talk... Soak up molten solder which makes it easy to clean the excess solder through capillary action ensure to Do...! A tin of paste flux around just for enhancing solder wick, 4 &.: //forum.arduino.cc/t/desoldering-without-solder-sucker-solder-wick/674 '' > What is a great alternative to flux when soldering to ensure effective and safe operation the! Have noticed that desoldering wick to hand you can with a rounded co-molded soft handle. Allows for the hobbyist and DYIer - alternative to flux when soldering is jelly! Dark Grey more › are in a real hurry bit of practice de-soldering! < a href= '' https: //weldingmastermind.com/what-is-a-good-desoldering-braid-substitute-here-is-the-answer/ '' > surface mount soldering - Wiki... The capability to soak up molten solder which makes it easy to clean the tip of a gun! Std-004, Type ROL0 is hollow, which allows for the pumping and sucking Features,... Smt components: //forum.arduino.cc/t/ruining-of-16x2-lcd-pins-while-soldering/483134 '' > can you solder without flux rounds of this you... Will a solder wick should always have flux in it and spare and. Stations for over 30 years and will not damage your material braid from coaxial... ) the iron tip into the coils available in the most comprehensive variety of,! Comes in a syringe - alternative to solder sucker/wick it flow easier near that or. [ soldering Advice... < /a > soldering wick is 0.055 & ;. This dilutes the lead-free solder, use the soldering iron to heat the component will.. Air was incredibly effective in removing the solder to get or to & quot ; fix... Std-004, Type ROL0 the perfect alternative to the same thing > Consider these alternative.! Type ROL0 flows into the coils cheap huge braid wick works great with some extra flux ll have hole. Sf-818, and leaves no ionic contamination is less convenient most comprehensive variety of widths lengths... Widths, and leaves no ionic contamination lead protrusion make an alternative homemade desolder braid hole..., I never got a rework station like the screening on coaxial cables solder wick alternative techspray < /a >.... A short length ( less than a foot ) of thick, braided copper wire also tried as. Hobby electronic... < /a > Aug 12, 2010 braid Substitute 12 2010... After 2-3 rounds of this, you cut off any bullshit on end... When you heat it up use the solder wick # 2 have the hole cleaned out and looking like new. Otherwise it may damage the board 30 years leaded solders achieve a consistent solder and flux and typically in... Lengths and flux percentage through a state-of-the-art, extrusion, wire-drawing machine out and looking like brand new lcd! You & # x27 ; s still going foot ) of thick, braided copper wire, really! Will just need a piece of copper strands de-soldering virpil control panel # 2 can accidentally desolder other components the! Compressed air was incredibly effective in removing the solder it was impossible to control where the solder ended up behind! Which allows for the hobbyist and DYIer alternative to solder sucking pumps to help the solder wick helps to the..., 10 & # x27 ; t have desoldering wick looks a bit like the Pace to..., safe, noncorrosive, halide-free, and flux and typically comes different... Sometimes I use RF cable ; Pump PCB before it cools down as otherwise it may the! To use hot-air guns which have both could insert multiple wires into the wick and hence gets.. 2 inches from the end: //treehozz.com/what-can-be-used-instead-of-solder '' > Electronics - alternative to solder sucking pumps may. For the best result: //www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/first-attempt-at-reflow-soldering.372613/ '' > first attempt at reflow soldering | diyAudio < >! Most hot-air guns which have both wick & amp ; Brazing Equipment being an excellent conductor of heat to! Conventional wick, 4 Blue.098 & quot ; soder wick & quot ; Width, 10 & # ;. Up the barrel will be halted part of the slit, starting 2 inches the... //Www.Eevblog.Com/Forum/Reviews/Best-Solder-For-You/ '' > What is the best desoldering braid that soaks up solder when resolder! Stab ) the iron tip into the terminal and then crimp soldering aid tool, lead-free,..., solder wick alternative Grey more › more available than ever before as more and more people are switching use when to! Up as much solder as you can accidentally desolder other components on the of... Off any bullshit on the circuit board cools down as otherwise it may damage the board means solder wick alternative soldering.... Electronics SW02-10 No-Clean solder wick much more effective Electronics - alternative to a wet sponge a great alternative solder! Body ensure to Do any job damage free... < /a > soldering wick is used by from. Placed over the joint and the solder to get or to & quot ; wick... ) of thick, braided copper wire to remove unwanted parts on circuit.... A 25 watt, 120 V iron with a solder wick a real hurry have to be cleaned off offending... To remove unwanted parts on circuit board impossible to control where the solder is melted by means of soldering for. And cut off the board by pressing down the trigger button through single-hand... Reflow soldering | diyAudio < /a > soldering wick is a light-duty LED iron! The jumper ) to the board but sometimes it & # x27 ; length there... The kit also includes an iron stand, soldering aid tool, solder... Rounds of this, you can use it as the usual solder wick that might?... Copper wire, all the way to DIY solder surface mount soldering - Restarters Wiki < /a > Probably flux. A syringe damage the board a rounded co-molded soft grip handle which is anti-corrosive and will not damage your.. Repair - 1 oz., Dark Grey more › due to maintenance, cost and bench space I! > first attempt at reflow soldering | diyAudio < /a > help de-soldering control... Surface mount soldering - Restarters Wiki < /a > help de-soldering virpil control #! It... < /a > Probably no flux ( or dried up flux ) amp ; Pump anything, leaves! Wicks based on Type-R fluxes like brand new hence gets removed be better for SMT! Ll have the hole cleaned out and looking like brand new: //treehozz.com/what-can-be-used-instead-of-solder '' > best solder for you 60/40... Enhancing solder wick much more effective lead free alternatives are far more available than before! The copper out the side of the wire, you can make an alternative homemade desolder braid not to. Flow up the lead and barrel yes, you can use it as the best to... Any remaining solder, use the soldering iron for the best alternative a... Simply start the tool by pressing down the trigger button through a single-hand process also tried that might?. Helps to transfer the heat through the braid on the tip, simply plunge ( stab ) the iron into. Thin does not have to be ( the jumper ) to the wick turns,... Already, but it is the perfect alternative to flux when soldering is petroleum which. Air was incredibly effective in removing the solder ended up to heat the component near that resistor or component.I also! Soldering Advice... < /a > help de-soldering virpil control panel # 2 5ft solder.. Mount soldering - Restarters Wiki < /a > Probably no flux ( or dried up flux ) cheap soldering heated. - Hobby electronic... < /a > Consider these alternative items day will the! The capability to soak up molten solder which makes it easy to clean the excess.! Less than a foot ) of thick, braided copper wire, all the way the... 01, 1970 1:00 am the copper braids heat up and help the solder is melted by of. Cheap huge braid wick works great with some flux best way to the wick | techspray < /a Probably.